Last Updated:

US Iran Tension: America is replenishing the stockpile of its most powerful non-nuclear bomb, the GBU-57 MOP, amid a possible conflict with Iran. Now a new deal worth 100 million dollars is being made with Boeing after it will be used on Iran’s nuclear bases in 2025. But is America buying these bombs because of tension with Iran?

news immediately

Why is the US suddenly buying a stock of 'bunker buster' bombs? Preparing to attack with GBU-57!Zoom

America is buying bunker buster bombs.

Washington: Amidst the increasing tension with Iran, America has taken a step which shows that an attack may happen again. The US Air Force is going to buy again its heaviest and most powerful bunker buster bomb, the GBU-57 MOP. This is the same bomb which was dropped on Iran’s Fordow and Natanz nuclear bases during ‘Operation Midnight Hammer’ last year. According to the Eurasian Times report, American documents said that the Air Force is finalizing a deal with Boeing worth about $100 million. This deal is being given to single source i.e. directly to Boeing because this company manufactures this special bomb. The Air Force says that if the contract is given to someone else, there will be a delay and preparations will be affected.

What was Operation Midnight Hammer?

On June 22, 2025, America attacked Iran’s nuclear sites. This action took place after the 12-day war between Israel and Iran. Seven B-2 Spirit stealth bombers were used in this mission. Each plane dropped two bombs. A total of 14 MOP bombs were used. This bomb weighs 30,000 pounds i.e. about 13,600 kg. It has a 5,740 pound warhead and can penetrate reinforced concrete up to 200 feet. It has been specially designed to destroy underground bases, command centers and nuclear facilities.

Why is America buying bunker buster bombs?

It is clearly written in the Air Force document that it is necessary to replenish the bombs used in the operation. Deliveries are likely to begin from January 2028. However, the number of bombs that will be purchased has not been made public. According to the information, till 2015 the US Air Force had at least 20 MOP bombs. Production continued thereafter, but there were no major purchases reported in recent years. These bombs were used in war for the first time in 2025.

Is this the last purchase?

America is now developing a new age bunker buster, which is being called Next Generation Penetrator i.e. NGP. It can be used with new stealth bombers like B-21 Raider. At present NGP is in its initial stage. In such a situation, this purchase of MOP is being considered as a temporary arrangement. This purchase is taking place at a time when tension between America and Iran has increased again. President Donald Trump recently said that nuclear talks should continue, but if an agreement is not reached, action will be taken.

About the Author

authoring

Yogendra Mishra

Yogendra Mishra has graduated in Journalism from Allahabad University. He has been associated with media since 2017. After serving in News Nation, TV 9 Bharatvarsh and Navbharat Times, now News18 is…read more



Source link